Sunday, April 16, 2023

Second Sunday of Easter

Second Sunday of Easter (A)

April 16, 2023

Text: John 20:19-31

Alleluia!  Christ is risen!  He is risen, indeed!  Alleluia!

            Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.’  And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.  If you forgive the sins of anyone, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld.’” (John 20:21-23; ESV).

            The Office of the Holy Ministry is given for this purpose: To distribute to you the Risen Lord’s Peace in the forgiveness of sins. 

            First, a little catechetical review.  “The Office of the Keys,” you’ll remember, is just a fancy term for the Office of the Holy Ministry, or “The Pastoral Office.”  So, “What is the Office of the Keys?  The Office of the Keys is that special authority which Christ has given to His church on earth to forgive the sins of repentant sinners, but to withhold forgiveness from the unrepentant as long as they do not repent.  Where is this written?  Well, you just heard the Words in the reading of the Holy Gospel according to St. John, Chapter 20 (vv. 22-23), and as I quoted them at the beginning of this sermon.  And “What do you believe according to these words?  I believe that when the called ministers of Christ deal with us by His divine command, in particular when they exclude openly unrepentant sinners from the Christian congregation and absolve those who repent of their sins and want to do better, this is just as valid and certain, even in heaven, as if Christ our dear Lord dealt with us Himself.”[1]

            So why does God give you a pastor?  To exercise this Office in your midst.  And to apply what the Lord here gives by means of this Office, to you personally and individually.  And that is the forgiveness of sins. 

            Everything a pastor does is about the forgiveness of your sins.  The only tools he has available to him are the Means of Grace, the Means by which the Holy Spirit gives faith in Christ, and applies Christ.  The pastor has nothing else.  Not his own winsome personality.  Not his charm and good looks.  Not really even his skill or ability (though as St. Paul reminds us in 1 Timothy and Titus, the pastor must be “able to teach” [1 Tim. 3:2; Titus 2:24]).  All he has is the Word of God: Scripture, preaching… and the Sacramental Word (the Word in visible elements): Baptism, Absolution (which is always a return to Baptism), and the Holy Supper.  And he has prayer, to be sure, which flows from the Means of Grace, and leads back to the Means of Grace.  And that’s it.  The pastor has no sufficiency of himself.  God alone is his sufficiency (2 Cor. 3:5).  All he can do is preach and pray.  The whole thing is in God’s hands.

            Needless to say, each Means of Grace is given as a vehicle by which the Holy Spirit delivers Christ Jesus to you, His death and resurrection, and so the forgiveness of sins, reconciliation with the Father, eternal life, and salvation, and all that goes along with that.  The main job of the pastor is to hand over the Means of Grace.  But so also, everything else a pastor does, what we might call the secondary things, or even the tertiary things, and on down the line… all of it is in service to the handing over of Jesus in the Means of Grace.  All of it is in service to the forgiveness of sins.  Meetings, like the one yesterday, for example.  Filling out congregational statistics forms for Synod, like I did this past week.  Visiting the sick, the homebound, prospective members, others who ask for counsel and aid.  Fostering relationships.  Marriage counseling.  Community events.  Bible studies at breweries.  Meetings with other pastors and service to the wider Church.  Continuing Ed, and yes, even pastors conferences.  Even and especially my own prayer and study in my basement office (I’ll be honest with you… you wouldn’t know it, and synodical bureaucrats may deny it, but that is where much of the most intense spiritual warfare goes on, and the contested territory is you).  Above all, it is the bearing of the precious and holy cross, which touches every one of these things.  The list could go on, and there are probably some obvious ones I’ve missed, but you get the point: Everything a pastor does as pastor is in service to the prime directive: Deliver Christ and the forgiveness of sins… to you.

            I made some vows, to God and to you, the day I was installed as your pastor.  They are a repetition and reaffirmation of the vows I made at my ordination.  It is good, incidentally, whenever you make vows or take oaths, to review the things you promised from time to time, and give yourself an honest examination.  How is it going?  How faithful have you been?  Husbands and wives would do well to routinely review their marriage vows.  How about the vows made, or perhaps made in your stead by your sponsors, at your Baptism?  Vows spoken by your own mouth at your Confirmation?  And we could only wish our politicians would review their oaths of office every now and then, and take them to heart.  We should pray that they do. 

            Well, what were the vows I made to God and to you?  I vowed always to believe, teach, and confess the Word of God as recorded in the Old and New Testaments, as the inspired Word of God and the only infallible rule of faith and practice.[2]  I vowed always to believe, teach, and confess according to the three Ecumenical Creeds (the Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian), and our Lutheran Confessions as contained in the 1580 Book of Concord.  And see, all of this so far has to do with the doctrine, the words I speak, but it also has to do with life.  My own, and my ministry as applied to you.  I vowed that I would perform the duties of my office in accord with the Scriptures and these Confessions.  And that, as a result, I would faithfully instruct both young and old in the chief articles of Christian doctrine (that is why, yes, those of you who have already been through Catechism class, I still preach to you the same doctrine, and even the very same words you learned, probably as a child; you never outgrow them, and I promised to teach them).  That I would forgive the sins of those who repent, and never divulge the sins confessed to me.  That I would minister faithfully to the sick and dying, and be constantly at the ready to speak the Gospel into any and every situation that may arise (that is why the pastor has to constantly be studying God’s Word, so that he can be ready at any moment to speak it into the brokenness and fallenness of your life).  That I would admonish and encourage you to a lively confidence in Christ, and to holy living.  And that I, myself, would live a holy life, diligent in study, and constant in prayer for you.

            Dear brothers and sisters, I am a sinner, and I am weak.  Wherever I have sinned against you (and I have), I ask your forgiveness for Jesus’ sake.  Wherever I have neglected my Christian or pastoral duty toward you, spoken, or acted wrongly, I ask your forgiveness for Jesus’ sake.  In all my faults and weaknesses, I beg you that love would cover a multitude of sins (James 5:20; 1 Peter 4:8).  And if there is anything between you and me that has damaged our relationship, or prevents full and free communion in peace and joy and Christian love, please speak with me directly, that I may confess my sins to you and be absolved, and that we be reconciled. 

            You, also, made some vows, to God, to me, and to one another, at my installation if you were there, and if you weren’t there, you signed on to these vows when you were received as a member of this congregation at this altar.  What were those vows?  Well, first you heard the Word of the Lord in Hebrews 13:17 (NIV): “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority.  They keep watch over you as men who must give an account.  Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.”  Then you were asked, “Will you receive [your pastor], show him that love, honor, and obedience in the Lord that you owe to the shepherd and teacher placed over you by your Lord Jesus Christ, and will you support him by your gifts and pray for him always that in his labors he may retain a cheerful spirit and that his ministry among you may be abundantly blessed?... Will you honor and uphold your pastor as he serves Christ in all his God-pleasing responsibilities?  Will you aid him as he cares for his family?  Will you be diligent to ‘put the best construction on everything,’ recognizing that ‘love covers a multitude of sins’?”  To which you answered, “We will, with the help of God.”

            I thank God for every single one of you, and for the love and care you extend to me and to my family.  Your generosity is unbounded.  And you do cover over a multitude of sins with the help of God.  But above all, I thank God when you eagerly and joyfully receive the gifts of our Lord Jesus Christ in His Means of Grace.  A brother pastor once said to me, when he was experiencing difficulties in his congregation, “I just want them to rejoice in the gifts!”  That’s right, and I way it without frustration: I just want you to rejoice in the gifts.  And then live in them.  Be the Church.  I am not the Church.  I am in the Church with you, a fellow member and brother in Christ.  But I am not the Church.  You are.  Together.  One body, the Body of Christ, and each one an individual member of it.  So, as the Church, receive.  And then live.  Confess Christ.  Speak the Word.  Love your neighbor.  Provide for this ministry and this congregation.  Build a building… or don’t (that’s not my decision, that’s yours).  Go be salt and light and, leaven the lump of this world.  Be faithful in all you do and say… faithful to Christ, faithful to your neighbor.  And keep coming back here, often, and always, every chance you get, to receive the gifts.  The forgiveness of sins.  The Holy Spirit.  Life and salvation.

            I love being a pastor.  I love being your pastor.  What a privilege.  What a joy.  This text gave us a chance to think about that a minute, which is especially timely after a very intense Lent and Holy Week and Easter.  To take stock.  Give thanks.  Rejoice in the gifts.  Now this has gone a little long, but I’m sure you’ll forgive me.  And above all know that God forgives you all your sins for Jesus’ sake.  He’s given you a pastor for this reason, to tell you so: In the stead and by the command of my Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you all your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son X, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.  Alleluia!  Christ is risen!  He is risen, indeed!  Alleluia!                       

 



[1] Catechism quotes from Luther’s Small Catechism (St. Louis: Concordia, 1986). 

[2] See “Installation of a Pastor,” Lutheran Service Book: Agenda (St. Louis: Concordia, 2006) pp. 174-84.


No comments:

Post a Comment